Captain's Log, Entry: November 27, 2022
- I’m on Mastodon! Find me here (infosec) and here (personal)! My Mastodon tootorial has also been published.
- I honestly don’t care about “follower” count on social media, but as an observation, I was able to surpass my follower count from Twitter in a week on Mastodon.
- I’m considering standing up my own Mastodon instance @ shellsharks.social. More to come here…
- My site was plugged on r/cybersecurity, woo!
- I’ve revamped my disclaimer page with an added Creative Commons license.
- Atom is going away, as such, I’ll probably need a new IDE for editing the site/writing posts. I’m currently between Visual Studio Code or Nova as the successor.
- I passed my GIAC GOSI exam with a 90%. Review is up!
- The Shellsharks Podcast made a top 50 Cybersecurity podcasts list!
- Three new shows up w/ VoidSec, Shahar & Eva
What I’m Learning
- I’ve completed GOSI and am now studying for GWEB. Once done, I’ll move to GSLC. Why am I prioritizing these certs? Not really sure. Maybe i’ll stop at 20…
- I say this every year, but thinking I’ll spend some time on Holiday Hack this year and do some form of write-up.
- Beyond the silly certs, I’ve been putting some thought into what I want to learn and where I want to go technically/professionally. I’ve identified some domains, trainings and books that I believe can help me with this progression. At a high-level, it involves a lot of coding, cloud, containers and general appsec.
- Andor Season 1 was just incredible.
- I watched Jurassic World Dominion and despite the reviews I saw, thoroughly enjoyed it.
- Twitter is ded.
- Finally got back to my jet-setting ways with a trip to Barcelona, Andorra and Toulouse.
What is my sacrifice?
Calm. Kindness, kinship. Love. I’ve given up all chance at inner peace, I’ve made my mind a sunless space. I share my dreams with ghosts. I wake up every day to an equation I wrote 15 years ago from which there’s only one conclusion: I’m damned for what I do. My anger, my ego, my unwillingness to yield, my eagerness to fight, they’ve set me on a path from which there is no escape. I yearned to be a savior against injustice without contemplating the cost, and by the time I looked down, there was no longer any ground beneath my feet.
What is… what is my sacrifice? I’m condemned to use the tools of my enemy to defeat them. I burn my decency for someone else’s future. I burn my life, to make a sunrise that I know I’ll never see. No, the ego that started this fight will never have a mirror, or an audience, or the light of gratitude. So what do I sacrifice?